The throbbing pain of a headache. It's become your almost constant companion. Dr. Anna Kogan of Neurology Center of New York in Brooklyn, NY, offers treatment solutions for headaches and counsels patients on avoidance strategies. Would you like to feel better?
Kinds of headaches
There are about 150 different kinds of headaches, reports Medical News Today. Which kind do you suffer from?
Basically, headaches may be broken down into four broad categories:
- Sinus headaches where the mucosal lining of the frontal, ethmoid, maxillary and sphenoid sinuses (air-filled spaces in the skull) become inflamed, producing copious amounts of mucus, pressure, and intense facial pain
- Cluster headaches, comprised of severe, one-sided pain which starts suddenly and can produce odd symptoms such as drooping eyelids
- Migraine headaches, intense headaches which have onset symptoms, or auras, such as light sensitivity
- Tension headaches, the most frequent kind among adults and the least severe in symptomology (pain is more moderate)
Health care providers consider headaches to be chronic if they happen 15 or more days in a single month.
Documenting and reporting your headache symptoms to Dr. Kogan is key to formulating a treatment strategy at Neurology Center of New York. So, be sure to note your key headache factors:
- Level of pain (on a scale of one to 10)
- Any known triggers (stress, working at a computer, foods, light)
- Accompanying symptoms (such as vomiting, insomnia, or dizziness)
- Family history of headaches
- How long headaches last and their frequency
Together, you and Dr. Kogan will discuss ways to limit your headaches and help you see the results of your treatment strategies. She will do a complete history and physical (possibly including an EEG, blood work, and imaging such as a CT scan) and review any medications you currently take.
Components of headache treatment in Brooklyn
There are many, and all require some patience and persistence. Dr. Kogan and her team may suggest:
- Ibuprofen, acetaminophen, or prescription medications
- Caffeine or certain blood pressure medications
- Rest in a darkened room
- Stress reduction techniques
- Relaxation exercises, such as deep breathing
- Dietary supplements
At Neurology Center of New York, Dr. Kogan helps many headache patients control their symptoms and lead healthier, happier, more productive lives. Please don't wait. Get help with your headaches by arranging a consultation with this well-respected neurologist in Brooklyn, NY. Call (718) 758-5777.